Electrical reports are now required by law for rental properties

“These new Regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.”

Government guidance on the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

What does the report involve?

The inspector will assess the electrical installation against the requirements of the latest wiring regulations. This is done by carrying out various tests on the circuits and distribution equipment, and by carrying out sample inspections (i.e. opening up a sample of all sockets, switches, etc).

The inspector will then issue a report in a standard industry format known as the Electrical Installation Condition Report.

The report covers all ‘fixed’ electrical parts of the property, such as the wiring, sockets, switches and all permanently connected equipment such as showers and extractors.  The report does not cover electrical appliances, but you should also consider carrying out portable appliance testing on any electrical appliances you provide.

Remedial work must be completed in 28 days

Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary to make the overall condition “satisfactory”, that work must be completed with 28 days (or a shorter period if specified in the report).  The tenant must then be given confirmation that the work has been done within 28 days of completion.

When do the regulations come into force?

The regulations already apply to new tenancies. They will apply to existing tenancies from 1 April 2021.  Please be aware that electricians who carry out the tests are likely to be extremely busy in the run up to next April!

How can Highthorne Electrical help?

I aim to take the burden off you, the landlord, by ‘hand-holding’ throughout the process. All paperwork that needs to be supplied to the tenant will be provided with a short covering email that can you can simply forward on. If it helps, I am happy to make arrangements directly with the tenant, to save you acting as a go-between, but I’ll always keep you posted.

If any remedial work is required then I will provide a quote to do it, but I will also provide a clear specification that can be sent to other electricians for quotes.

If you are a landlord and you do not yet have an EICR in place for your property then please get in touch and let me know:

  • the address or approximate location of the property;
  • layout and number of bedrooms (e.g. 2-bed flat);
  • whether the property will be occupied at the time of the inspection.

I’ll get straight back to you to let you know the price and my availability.